With just about every woman I coach who works in business I find myself having the same conversations and one in particular is around the ‘game of business’
Men get it they know ‘the game’ most women have no idea there was a game in place, let alone the rules of ‘the game’ it’s like watching women play monopoly being blissfully unaware they should buy properties instead they merrily hop around the monopoly board giving everyone else money until they run out of money and they are out of the game, then they realised they have been played.
Let me enlighten you…
The game of business
- You are responsible for your career path, no-one else cares.
- Just working hard will NOT get you promoted.
- You need to manage the perception you are great at your job, with the people that matter, as no one else will.
- If you come up with a great idea, own it, take the credit for it, and let everyone else know how great it is.
- If you want promotion, pay rise, ask for it!
- If organisational decisions are made on the golf course, play golf, or at least go for a walk with a club in hand.
- You can push back, doing the workload of two people isn’t cool, it’s exhausting.
- You don’t have to do everything today, really you don’t.
- If your instincts tell you your boss is dodgy, self-centred, egotistical, narcissistic or a psychopath, you are probably right which means, they need you to make them look good and won’t invest any time making you look good. It’s time to find a new boss in your existing company or a new company.